Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do I take the seeds from a flower and try to grow more?

Do I wait for them to die or can I plant them now?

How do I take the seeds from a flower and try to grow more?
While I am by no means an expert I wait for the flowers to die back including the seed buds or whatever and when they are dried out I take them off and lay them on newspapers to dry out even more. Then I save them in envelopes and in the next spring plant them. Each individual seeds, not the whole seed pod.. I start almost all my flowers this way. I suppose if you live in a warm place you can plant them right after they are dry but where I live we only have the one growing season each year. (Pennsylvania) Have fun saving your seeds and growing new plants. It can be addicting. LOL


Debbie
Reply:Don't lop off the flower from the plant until the flower is completely spent. The flower has to grow through its complete cycle before it will seed.Usually the top of the stem leading to the dead flower has shriveled a bit and the center will generally have the seeds in it.


Get an airtight jar or bottle-like a prescription bottle that's clean and put the seeds in that. Some people use zip lock baggies. You'll be able to tell the seeds. I'd wait until next spring to plant them however.

vacuum deodorizer

No comments:

Post a Comment