Monday, May 11, 2009

How do i take amaryllis seeds from my amaryllis flower.?

I would like to know how to take amaryllis seeds from my amaryllis flower. Any simple ways to do this.

How do i take amaryllis seeds from my amaryllis flower.?
Assuming you mean Hippeastrum? Amaryllis actually comprise a huge genus of diverse plants.


After the flower has died there should be a round pod at the base of the flower and if it contains any fertile seeds it will swell and eventually change colour when it ripens. Once it is ripe the pod will be soft and probably starting to split open of its own accord- you can then remove the pod and take out the seed which will look like small bulbs these can then be planted into potting mix and will grow a shoot which then feeds off the original bulb (food store) while it grows roots and a proper bulb at the base of the shoot.
Reply:As your amaryllis grows it will sprout baby amaryllis'. I think it will really hurt your flower if you were to extract seeds from the bulbs. I would just take care of the one that I have and just wait for the others to grow in.


No comments:

Post a Comment